Tuesday 16 April 2013

All socks bright and beautiful.

I'm a terribly naughty blogger, I know. In fact, it's been almost a year since my last post (now deleted, to give a fresh start), as I decided to give the whole blogging thing a bit of a rest.

However, I'm now back, inspired, and eager to get back into blogging. My blog's been re-vamped, and I decided to kick-start my blog with a post about my favourite things ever. Yep, you guessed it; Socks!

I've never quite been able to put into words what I love so much about them, but you've gotta admit, they're pretty spectacular. So, here are (almost!) all the ones I've ever made. Hopefully, in chronological order!
There were the first socks I ever made. As I didn't know anything about sock knitting, I didn't find a very good pattern, and later went back and redid the toes. Weaving in all those yarn ends was a nightmare!
There were the second socks I made. I made them two-at-a-time, and toe-up. Stripes are awesome.

These were my mums first "birthday socks". Admittedly this tradition has only been going for two years, but I've given her socks 100% of birthdays within that time!
These were the first socks I made with real sock yarn (instead of the acrylic dk that most of these are made from). It took a while, but I made up the pattern, and I really love them.
These are my "January socks", made this year. I've started making one pair a month, so by the end of the year I should have plenty to keep my feet toasty and warm! (top down, acrylic dk, I improvised the pattern).

These were my mother's "birthday socks" from this year. The pattern is called "Jeeves" and is based on the P.G.Wodehouse books she's so fond of! (find the free pattern here)


This is, ermm, one of my February socks. The other is lost in the wash camera shy. 
(find the free pattern here)



These are my march socks for this year. Oh, how I love colour-changing, dk weight, acrylic. Quick, cheap, and easy to wash!


And finally, these are the socks I'm currently working on. Yep, I think they're just beautiful. 
Fancy a close-up?

They're made with trekking xxl sock yarn, and follow this free pattern.

Well, that seems to be just about it for socks. I'll leave you with these pictures of my cats, enjoying the recent (unexpected) heat-wave-ish-thing-that-wasn't-really-that-hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment